Cast Iron Chicken - Quick weeknight meal - Preheat oven to 425. Heat olive oil in cast iron pan add chicken thighs seasoned with salt and pepper and brown on both sides - take out chicken - add butter to pan add sliced leeks and slices red potatoes seasoned with salt and pepper for few minutes until coated with butter. Put chicken back in pan and top with green beans tossed in olive oil. Optional add chopped rosemary. Place cast iron skillet in oven until chicken is 170 degrees - Enjoy!
Looking for something new to try this weekend? Coconut milk, honey, and a touch of spice make these Thai chicken satay skewers sound really delicious!⠀
Prep Time: 15 mins⠀
Cook Time: 6 mins⠀
Total Time: 2 hrs 21 mins⠀
Servings: 8 servings, 2 skewers and 2 Tbsp. dipping sauce⠀
Calories: 257 kcal⠀
INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN SATAY⠀
- 3 shallots, finely chopped⠀
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped⠀
- ½ cup canned lite coconut milk⠀
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice⠀
- 1 Tbsp. raw honey⠀
- 3 fresh cilantro sprigs, chopped⠀
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin⠀
- ¼ tsp. ground turmeric⠀
- 2 lbs. raw chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into 2-inch chunks⠀
INGREDIENTS FOR PEANUT DIPPING SAUCE⠀
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. hot water⠀
- ½ cup chunky peanut butter⠀
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice⠀
- 1 Tbsp. raw honey⠀
- 2 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce⠀
- ½ tsp. chili sauce⠀
Instructions For Chicken Satay:⠀
- Soak 16 wooden skewers in water.⠀
Place shallots, garlic, coconut milk, lime juice, honey, cilantro, cumin, and turmeric in blender; cover. Blend until smooth.⠀
- Place chicken in a glass dish. Top with marinade; mix well to blend. Marinate, covered, in refrigerator for 2 hours.⠀
- Preheat grill (or broiler) on high.⠀
- Place 2 to 3 pieces of chicken on each skewer. ⠀
- Grill (or broil) skewers for 5 to 6 minutes, turning every 2 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle, and juices run clear. ⠀
Instructions For Peanut Dipping Sauce:⠀
- Place water, peanut butter, lime juice, honey, soy sauce, and chili sauce in a small bowl; whisk to blend.⠀
- Serve 2 skewers with 2 Tbsp. dipping sauce
This recipe for Pork and Sweet Potato Kabobs is a perfect meal for some weekend BBQ fun! 😎⠀
The pork is moist and full of flavor, and because it rests right up against all those veggies that rich juicy meat imparts it's flavor into the whole kabob. All those colors make these kabobs look just as good as they taste, and as I’ve said, the more colors, the better it is for you!⠀
Prep Time: 15 mins⠀
Cook Time: 10 mins⠀
Total Time: 4 hrs 25 mins⠀
Servings: 3 Servings, 2 Skewers Each⠀
- 1 Tbsp olive oil⠀
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice⠀
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary⠀
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley⠀
- 4 cloves garlic chopped⠀
- ¼ tsp sea salt (or Himalayan salt)⠀
- 12 oz raw lean boneless pork loin cut into 12 1-inch cubes⠀
- 1 large sweet potato peeled, cut into 12 1-inch cubes⠀
- 1 medium onion cut into 12 1-inch cubes⠀
- 1 medium red bell pepper cut into 12 1-inch cubes⠀
- 1 medium green bell pepper cut into 12 1-inch cubes⠀
- Combine oil, lemon juice, rosemary, parsley, garlic, and salt in a large resealable bag.⠀
- Add pork; marinate, refrigerated, for 30 minutes (to 4 hours).⠀
- Preheat grill or broiler on high.⠀
- Boil water in steamer or large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high. Place sweet potato pieces in steamer basket; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Place in ice water bath to stop cooking process. Set aside.⠀
- Place a piece of pork, sweet potato, onion, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper onto a skewer. Repeat, so the skewer has two pieces of each ingredient. Repeat with five remaining skewers. Discard marinade that contained pork.⠀
- Grill (or broil) skewers for 8 to 10 minutes, turning every 2 minutes, or until sweet potato is softened and pork is no longer pink in the middle.
1 7010:29 PM Aug 10, 2018
Black beans cooked in the Instant Pot. Anyone else a fan of eating beans this way? It’s incredibly easy and a heck of a lot cheaper than canned beans, not to mention the added health perks of avoiding canned beans (no BPA or other leaching from the lining).
On a somewhat related note - if you’ve had your eye on the Instant Pot and you’re an Amazon Prime member, Prime Day is still happening and the Instant Pot is marked down! We got ours on Prime Day a year or two ago (I can’t remember) and I use it a lot and really love it. It saves me a lot of time and I particularly love throwing frozen meat in to cook in just minutes.
Here is my black bean recipe.
* 2 cups dry black beans sorted and rinsed
* 8 cups water
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 bay leaf
Place all of your ingredients in the Instant Pot. Secure the lid and make sure the valve is set to "sealing". Set on manual for 20 minutes. Allow pressure to release before opening the lid. Drain the beans and enjoy!
This healthier take on macaroni and cheese is made even creamier with butternut squash! I’ve made it a few times for my family and it is another great dish that the kids love!⠀
Prep Time: 15 mins⠀
Cook Time: 1 hr 1 min⠀
Total Time: 1 hr 16 mins⠀
Servings 10 servings, about 1½ cups each⠀
Calories 298 kcal⠀
Ingredients⠀ • 1 lb. dry whole wheat macaroni⠀ • 1 tsp. olive oil⠀ • 1 medium onion chopped⠀ • 2 medium red bell peppers chopped⠀ • 3 cups cubed butternut squash⠀ • 1¾ cups low-sodium organic chicken broth⠀ • 1 cup low-fat (1%) milk⠀ • 2 Tbsp. low-fat (1%) plain Greek yogurt⠀ • 1 cup shredded Gruyere (or Swiss) cheese⠀ • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese⠀ • Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)⠀ • Nonstick cooking spray⠀ • Finely-chopped fresh parsley (for garnish; optional)⠀
1 Preheat oven to 375° F.⠀ 2 Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.⠀ 3 Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.⠀ 4 Add onion and bell peppers; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Set aside.⠀ 5 Combine squash, broth, and milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; gently boil for 22 to 25 minutes, or until squash is tender.⠀ 6 Place squash mixture in a blender or food processor; cover with lid and kitchen towel. Blend until smooth.⠀ 7 Combine squash mixture, macaroni, onion mixture, yogurt, and cheeses. Season with salt and pepper if desired; mix well.⠀ 8 Place macaroni mixture in a 13 x 9-inch ceramic or glass baking dish that has been coated with spray. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling.⠀ 9 Garnish with parsley if desired.⠀
Chicken Parmesan is typically deep-fried and smothered with cheese. Thankfully, with this recipe, you can make your own healthy chicken Parmesan at home.
I love this recipe as do my wife and kids so I’m making this tomorrow! 😃⠀
Prep Time: 15 mins⠀
Cook Time: 29 mins⠀
Total Time: 44 mins⠀
Servings: 4 servings, 1 chicken breast each⠀
Calories: 351 kcal⠀
- 1 cup whole grain Panko bread crumbs⠀
- 4 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese divided use⠀
- 1 dash sea salt or Himalayan salt⠀
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper⠀
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder⠀
- ¼ tsp. onion powder⠀
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten⠀
- 4 4-oz. raw chicken breasts boneless, skinless⠀
- 1 cup all-natural marinara sauce, no sugar added⠀
- ¾ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese⠀
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped flat leaf (Italian) parsley⠀
- Preheat oven to 450° F.⠀
- Lightly coat medium baking sheet with spray. Set aside.⠀
- Combine bread crumbs, 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small bowl; mix well. Transfer to a plate. Set aside.⠀
- Place eggs in a shallow dish. Dip each chicken breast in eggs, completely coating, then bread crumbs; coating each evenly on all sides. Place chicken on prepared baking sheet.⠀
- Bake for 22 to 26 minutes, turning after 15 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle and juices run clear.⠀
- Preheat broiler on high.⠀
- Top each chicken breast evenly with marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, and remaining 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese. Return to oven for 2 to 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.⠀
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Fajitas are the perfect dish for when you’re really hungry, or even hangry😡, but want to stay on track. ⠀
I love them and so does my family so I figured I’d share one of my favorite recipes with all of you. See below for the deets! 👇🏼⠀
Enjoy your Lean Steak Fajitas and let me know if your family liked them as well in the comments below!😊⠀
Prep Time: 20 mins⠀
Cook Time:18 mins⠀
Total Time: 38 mins⠀
Servings: 4 servings, 2 fajitas each⠀
Calories: 311 kcal⠀
- 1½ tsp. olive oil⠀
- 2 medium green (red or yellow) bell peppers, cut into strips⠀
- 1 medium onion, sliced⠀
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped⠀
- 1 lb. raw extra-lean beef sirloin, cut into 2-inch strips⠀
- 1 tsp. ground chili powder⠀
- 1 tsp. ground cumin⠀
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes⠀
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)⠀
- ½ cup fresh salsa⠀
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas, warm⠀
- 4 Tbsp. reduced-fat (2%) plain Greek yogurt⠀
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro⠀
- Lime wedges⠀
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.⠀
- Add bell peppers and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent and peppers are tender.⠀
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.⠀
- Add beef, chili powder, cumin, pepper flakes, and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 8 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink.⠀
- Add salsa; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through.⠀
- Evenly top each tortilla with beef mixture, yogurt, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.⠀
1 749:01 PM May 23, 2018
🍍🥥🍍🥥 Today is the day! Pina Colada is BACK!! It’s been 2️⃣ years that I’ve been waiting for them to bring back this protein shake! It’s delicious and totally worth the wait!
I’ll be sipping on this all summer long. 🌴🌴 Let me tell you a little secret....yes it’ll taste really good with some rum in it. 🍹🍹 Let’s get this summer started!
2 272:13 AM May 23, 2018
Lettuce wraps for the win!!! My boys plates were cleared in 10 minutes flat!
Day 2 of our family workout was a success! We did it after school & work right before supper. It was another short but fun 20 minute workout with another ~250 calories burned! And then we got to dine on these delicious BBQ chicken flatbread pizzas that were quick and easy to make, right from our workout meal plan! The kids(and wife!) loved them! 1 protein, 2.5 carbs, and half a healthy fat per serving! Add some salad and vegetables and it was a great post workout healthy meal!
1 121:24 AM Jan 30, 2018
A quick, easy and super delicious recipe for Sausage Meat Ragu 🍝 This has fast become one of our family favourites as it’s just so simple to make but packed full of flavour! 👍 Definitely worth a try this week!
* 1 tbsp oil
* 1 medium onion, finely diced
* 2 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely diced
* 500g / 1lb sausage meat
* 400g / 14 oz chopped tomatoes
* 200ml / 1 cup beef stock
* 100ml / 0.5 cup red wine
* 2 tbsp tomato puree
* 350g / 12oz parpadelle pasta
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion. Cook for approximately 3 minutes until the onions are soft.
2. Add the garlic and cook for another minute before adding the sausage meat.
3. Fry the sausagemeat for 5-6 minutes until it is browned all over.
4. Add in the chopped tomatoes, beef stock, red wine and tomato puree and mix well.
5. Bring the ragu to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for approximately 12 minutes until the mixture has cooked down and the sauce has reduced. Be careful not to reduce it too much as we still want to keep some liquid in there for when we add the pasta.
6. Whilst the ragu is simmering, cook the parpadelle (or any other) pasta in a separate saucepan. Drain and then add it to the ragu.
7. Mix well and then serve with some grated parmesan and fresh basil leaves.
Who’s made chia pudding?
Chia seeds are like little sponges and expand over time in liquid, thus making their own pudding consistency.
This was my first try and it’s the easiest thing ever, plus yummy!
1/2 C Chia Seeds
2 C Nut milk
1/8C Pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp Vanilla
Stir all till well combined Measure out evenly in mason jars and refrigerate for 4 hours or until the next morning.
Make enough for the week and use different toppings for a great breakfast with fresh fruit and anything else that will fill you up for the morning, or use more decadent toppings and serve as a dessert.
Plus no one will know it’s chalk full of fiber, omega 3’s, protein and more!
The SIMPLEST meal ever!
Aaaand my kids gobbled it all up last night, not realizing how many veggies they were consuming! 🙌🏻 1 bag broccoli slaw
1 pkg extra firm tofu (or cooked chicken, shrimp, etc)
Coconut aminos to taste
1 tsp (ish) Simply Asia sweet ginger garlic seasoning
1 Tbsp (ish) Teriyaki sauce
Throw it all in a pan, toss it around until the veggies are crisp tender and that’s it!
There is nooo way my kids would normally eat an entire package of broccoli slaw in one meal. But they love it in a stir fry! I think next time I’m going to try sneaking in some portobello mushrooms. 🤫
summer pasta bake 🌱 cook lentil pasta al dente 🌱sautée chopped garlic in coconut oil for a few minutes, then add in chopped fresh herbs of choice (we used basil and rosemary) cook a minute or two until fragrant, then add chopped fresh greens of choice (we used spinach arugula chard) cover and cook a few more minutes until wilted and vibrant 🌱 add creamy base to pasta- we used pesto hummus and almond cream cheese, other choices include ricotta or cashew ricotta, cashew cream, any kind of hummus 🌱 mix greens/herbs into pasta 🌱 spoon layer of tomato sauce on bottom of baking dish, top with pasta mixture then more sauce 🌱 bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until warmed and your house smells delicious 🌱 enjoy with a wedge of avocado, a sprinkle of parmesan, and a table full of loved ones (preferably outside on a warm summer evening)
7 368:37 PM Jun 2, 2017
Made these into baked tacos tonight!
3 9711:27 PM May 19, 2017
Seriously tho #greenchef for the win again 🙌
White chicken chili with homemade almond tortillas
Charley helped cook tonight and is being such a adventurous eater, I couldn't be more proud ❤
5 710:17 PM May 8, 2017
Caprese Salad, Rigatoni Arrabbiata, & Parmigiano Reggiano for dinner! My girls all took out their phones and Snapchatted a pic. Clearly it's been awhile since I've cooked dinner at home. 😜