Today was pretty traumatic. If you saw my stories earlier today, I had to get a spot removed from my cheek. It was super stressful. I went to my car and cried after the appointment. I know I’m pregnant and super emotional but nothing usually makes me uneasy or queasy and during the whole operation I just wanted to ball my eyes out. I’m also struggling with the fact that I have a giant cut in my face 😑 BUT the kids are in bed, I’m sewing, drinking a cup of tea and not feeling like I need to get housework done 🙌🏼 #selfcare
To say that the last few months of my life have been pretty rough would be a massive understatement. But even in the darkest of places you can find the light. I’m looking forward to the opportunities that the year ahead will bring, and can’t wait to get stuck into making more hats. Bring on 2019 ✨👊
A few months ago, this was the home to many many books....but we have done some rearranging in our home and what was once my craft room/office is now a teenager's room. We have also done some purging of clothes and toys and books. So this built in bookshelf will be my "studio/craft" space. Any ideas on what to do with it to make it an inspirational space?
I've been working on my finishing this past month. I made the teal garment about 6 months ago... And it's a comparison to the yellow one I'm currently working on. Hand felled seams, cut seam allowances on curves to reduce tension in the fabric, staggered to keep things strong.. and then upper body seams bound in a bias tape made from scraps to keep things from fraying (and to prevent literally busting out of this garment). Phew. It takes longer, but I'm already excited about this kirtle. #mysca#antir#team14thcentury#historicalsewing#handsewing#learnbydoing
🧐 Sieht auf den ersten Blick aus, wie der Anfang eines #scrapvortex -Blocks ... der zweite und v. a. der dritte Blick aber, birgt eine Überraschung ...
Um mich auf meinen BOM vorzubereiten, hab ich mir ein paar Applique-Videos angeschaut ... und bin dabei auf ein Video von Yoko Saito gestoßen, in dem sie mit der Hand an einem LogCabin-Block näht ... Sie war dabei so schnell, wie ich an der Maschine ...😜 es war absolut beeindruckend ...🤩 und DAS musste ich gerade mal ausprobieren ...🤓 die Technik ist klasse und macht kleinere Stiche möglich ... ich glaube, da bleibe ich mal ein bisschen dran ... und wenn nebenbei ein (kleines) ScrapKissen entstehen sollte, wär‘s ja auch nett ...😁
I find filling in foliage with the fishbone stitch so satisfying - and it's so much easier than it looks! To watch a slower video with instructions, click on the video tutorials in my profile link. Or find nature-inspired patterns using the fishbone stitch in my shop!
I didn't sew anything over the holidays, but I did find ways to work with my hands during down times with the family. 🧵
I had never done any #visiblemending before these jeans so I was intimidated by the process. I made a few mistakes and learned a few things, so I wanted to share them in case the concept seems appealing but intimidating to anybody else.
14 posts back on my feed I posted my prep work. That was overkill. I used a heavyweight denim from my husband's old jeans for the front patches and I also patched the back with chambray cotton. Don't do that. I used iron-on adhesive to hold them in place and then I basted them on. 🧵
When I got to the hand-sewing part I could barely get my needle through all the layers of fabric. I also tried the jeans on and they were super stiff. I kept at it though and stitched the whole edging around one patch and all the stitching on another patch. It was so much work I set the project aside for a couple months.
When I came back to it in December I realized I needed to backtrack or I would never finish. It's discouraging to decide to undo your work, but when it is the right thing to do it is very rewarding in the end. I removed all the chambray patches. Despite it being a thinner fabric it does not have the amount of stretch of even a non-stretch twill weave. I sanded down the heavyweight denim patches so they would be softer and more pliable. All patches are now a single layer with the patch either on the inside or outside of the leg.
After those changes the hand-stitching went a lot smoother. I just stitched around the raw edges, and then I used a ruler and chalk to mark the horizontal lines (only marking two at a time otherwise they wear off from all of the handling). There aren't really any rules to the design, that is the art of it all. 🧵
I was able to finish the project over a couple days and it was very enjoyable. The jeans move with me comfortably. I love the unique flavor they add to my outfits, and I love preserving a pair of jeans that have been with me since my single days. I only wish they had a higher rise 🤪