The nights at Pangong lake and Nubra Valley were my absolute favourites. All the lights go out after 10, and when you sit outside in the freezing cold and look up, all you see are infinite stars.
This picture in no way does justice to what was actually there. Your eyes can see more stars than the night sky!
This picture taken by my brother takes me back to the best thing I ever witnessed.
In December 2011 we visited New York, the first of 4 states on our list to see over the month.
I returned to SA from SK at the end of 2010 and proceeded to complete a Post Grad in Marketing. To celebrate, I bought myself a ticket to see my favourite DJ, Deadmau5, in Decemeber. I lost my shit properly. The next day, my mum, dad and I jetted off to the USA for a month. It was my first, and probably last time, flying business class and I took good advantage of it for the whole 24hr or so trip.
Having SK withdrawals, I was incredibly happy to find that out hotel in NY was next to Korea way, a street filled with Korean marts, restaurants and people. NY AND SK? I was on ecstatic. I made friends with a waitress at the hotel and a guy named Oliver from Germany who later became my good friend and even hosted me at his home in 2012. We met on the Hop on Hop off while touring NYC. In New York, a city that matched my energy, I did the following:
- ate enough Korean food to forget I was in America
- ate my first bagel with cream cheese, and street pretzel
- watched "The Lion King" on Broadway
- attended an Alvin Ailey Dance performance (Can you tell I'm a Drama student?)
- bought too many shoes and clothes
- went to the infamous Blue Note Jazz club
- Partied at Pacha with my new friends for a pretty penny
- visited the 911 memorial (gut-wrenching)
- saw the Statue of Liberty & the NY skyline
- watched the Freedom Tower being built
- visited Brooklyn and the bridge
- went to the Bronx because I had to (my mum refused to let me go alone 😅)
- went to the MET museum for a day (you can never see it all in a day, that place is huge)
- took a horse and carriage through central park
- played in Times Square
- blazed and partied in lower Manhattan with Oliver and more.
So. Much. Happiness and living! 😁🙌🙏 #newyork#NYC#USA#familytravels#travelmoments#beforeinstagram#traveling#travelers#traveler#exploring#explorer#wanderer#travelBug#travel#travelgram#instatravel#tourism#instago#passportready#wanderlust#ilovetravel#traveltheworld#travelpics#worldcaptures#worldplaces#mytravelgram#traveller#gallivanter#flashbackfriday#shaynanigans
Take the time to explore the scenic route whenever you can. The Avenue of the Giants is home to a vast array of Coast Redwoods that will rival almost any skyscraper in the race to kiss the sky. There are so many incredible places to take photos and be “one with nature.” We hugged a lot of trees, and experienced the simplistic beauty of nature as we drove through this epic forest. #tbt