DISCLAIMER: Handstand is a seemingly simple move with a boat load of small complexities that make a huge difference. There is also an insane amount of training tips and tools to help you go as far as you'd like with this movement eg. Eventually ➡️ 1 arm handstands, shapes, elevation, looooong holds & transitions etc. Today we are talking about using the wall & some of the benefits of entering with a kick up vs. a walk up.
In my opinion you need to be able to do both and you need to practice both.
The walk up hands down prepares and trains your handstand line alot more effectively. If you're having issues finding hollow position in handstand or figuring out your flexibility or you are 🍌ing alot the walk up will definitely help. The kick up is necessary for getting comfortable kicking up to handstand freestanding (when you start freestanding without the wall you won't be able to walk up) and personally I find finger control alot easier to practice with the kick up.
1️⃣ Helps your line
- consider flexibility, is it hard to get flush with the wall? Do your shoulders and back feel tight?
2️⃣ Find hollow position easier
- if you can get flush with the wall the straight line usually helps your hip placement in finding hollow position
3️⃣ Play with distance
- you can get comfortable gradually by walking up the wall at different distances
4️⃣ Practice control
- when you are flush with the wall you must rely on your focus and strength 100% to keep you from falling forwards
- alot of balance in handstand comes your wrists and fingers. It is a bit easier in my opinion to play with balance from the kick up
2️⃣ Feels safer
- for alot of people, especially those having fear holding weight overhead the kick up just feels safer to try
3️⃣ Finger control
- you can press with your fingers and catch with your palms (to stop your movement) a bit safer with fear of falling over
- when you start freestanding you won't be able to walk up a wall, therefore having practice with a controlled kick up is important
Hope this helps! Tag a friend or someone starting their handstand journey. Drop your questions below :)
When you go through hard times out your life on stop ✋ push hard and strong to the happy times in life👊🔥💯😈😈😈😂
9 422:26 AM Nov 3, 2018
Confidence is one of your greatest asset!🔥🔥🔥💯😈😈
8 411:24 AM Nov 3, 2018
Jeremias Dragon! 🔥Fired up!🔥💯
4 305:22 PM Oct 13, 2018
Popular Instagram Photos
Just a little blend of muscular strength, active flexibility, and playful sensuality. Now what other sport can give you that? Heels or no heels, and whether you like it or not, there's simply no denying that WE ARE ATHLETES 💪💪 Hear us roar!! 🦁🐯 Or meow 😸😸
Athlete: Flexy Lexy / Ling Ling @july.julz
Song: "Something New" - @wizkhalifa@tydollasign