Preferred by @sean_sako
Shoes: @maviccycling Cosmic Ultimate SL. ~ “The most comfortable and lightest shoe I have ever used, with phenomenal power transfer”
Helmet: The @lazersport Z1, “They have been doing helmets longer than anyone else. The Z1 is most probably the best fitting helmet out there for everyone due to its ingenious RollSys retention system. Superior ventilation and light weight makes this my go to helmet”
The rough and the smooth. I treated the quick bike to some @crankaliciously TLC before flying to Tenerife tomorrow morning. I’d forgotten just how ‘right’ this thing looks, especially rocking 65s. #BAAW
It's official. If you haven't had a chance to check out this years Tour Transalp route, make sure you do! 16 years later and it's still one of our favourite amateur stage races in Europe. What better way than to race with a full support team at your back. @Magicplacescycling
Aerodynamics has become a primary focus of our sport in terms of performance improvements, especially when it comes to our equipment. However our equipment only accounts for approximately 20% of our total aerodynamics; the remaining 80% is our body, so a big focus of mine when fitting for performance is the finding the sweet spot for sustainability in an aerodynamic position.
I have had the pleasure of working with many current and aspiring racers with a great range of experience in 2018, with some incredible results following our work together. But for those following my work, you may have noticed many clips displaying changes made within a position not commonly associated with bike fitting, so I want to explain it a little further:
🎬 1&2 - Wind tunnel testing in recent years has shown that the most aerodynamic position on a road bike is hold the top of your hoods with your forearms parallel to the ground. The reason behind this is the reduction of frontal area exposed to the wind, particularly your forearms when compared to riding on the drops.
🎬 3&4 - However, if this position is not refined to work within your functional limitations, frontal area can be heavily compromised and make this position difficult to sustain. This begs the question whether lower handlebars are better for aerodynamics. In many cases of fitting to this position, as demonstrated here by @russellhampton of @mgcyclinguk, I’ve regularly found bringing the handlebars higher to bring the bars up to a position with your functional limitations where you can rest your forearms onto the tops of the bars - this allows greater relaxation of your triceps and shoulders and enable you to focus more on head positioning, resulting in a lower and more sustainable body position on the bike.