so proud of Tamara ! Compare our second appointment to our first ! CONSISTENCY IS KEY 🔑 your level of hydration depends on what you’ve been doing /not doing before you sit in the chair 😍 I give you the keys and the knowledge to keep up with the work we did at our initial appointment! Hard work pays off! You need real hair care !
I’m sharing how I diffuse my hair to minimize frizz at the roots but still have volume, this is what works for my curls. That’s what this journey is about finding what works for each of us, there’s such a wealth of knowledge in this #curlcommunity , I’m grateful. As I’m posting my videos my process seems a bit crazy. If you look past the not great lighting and broken microphone hopefully this can be helpful?? I wash my hair about every 5-6 days, or at least that’s my goal, lately I’ve been wearing a lot of hats and pushing it out a week😬 ***
1. I followed my smooth & scrunch method (see in my story highlights) then wet plop for about 15mins.
2. Let my hair air dry until it’s no longer squishy but still quite wet
3. Diffuse on low heat setting with my @devacurl dryer and diffuser. I like this dryer bc it stays cool and the diffuser shape works well for how I use it. Taking the idea from when I’m at the salon under a dryer, and there’s no frizz at the roots, but I still want volume. So I dry my hair with the diffuser blowing down on my head rather than upwards.
4. I am gentle with my curls until they are set, although I’m touching it a lot I try not to aggravate the cuticles.
5. Then when my hair is maybe 60% dry I stop diffusing. If I diffuse all the way my hair loses its shine and I also think my curls form better when they aren’t blown dry the entire way, more natural. This is when I go rest. #curlmeditation folks - taking some deep breaths!...5 mins in prayer pose, 5 mins in restorative pose. Shout out to mr 9yr old videographer for documenting this part.
6. My curls will tighten up as they completely dry as you can see on the first vs last video. The longer I let them rest the looser the curls end up - no gravity to weigh them down and tighten up.
7. This entire process from getting in the shower to mostly dry, lots of just air drying while doing other things (cleaned my bathroom today!) is like 2 hours. It’s important for me to set this time aside at least once during the week, me time.
What do you think? I’d love to hear your thoughts. And I will be posting in my highlights as soon as I have enough memory 😜 #kirstyscurls
48 71720 January, 2019
*GIVEAWAY CLOSED* its a good one and open internationally! One of my favorite curly hair product lines is @jessicurl, I am partnering with them to giveaway an 8oz collection in the fragrance of your choice (love that they offer their products in 3 different fragrances!) Rocking Ringlets styling potion I swear makes my curls more ringletty (totally a word) and their Spiralicious gel gives my curls definition and frizz control but doesn’t weigh my hair down, that is impressive. SO I attempted to share how I apply these products and style my hair currently - so many of you have been asking if I still finger coil all my hair...the answer is not really just a little bit in the front. These videos are far from what I aspire to present but let’s be honest I’m far from achieving that right now, I promised myself I’d just do it. Enjoy! bad lighting, broken microphone and all #ohmyword but I gotta start somewhere. See my story highlights “smooth&scrunch” for more explanation on my process. Now I’m gonna have a cocktail and NOT rewatch these videos before I change my mind!
AND of course the good part...Enter to win an 8oz collection in the fragrance of your choice.
1. Like this photo
2. Follow me and @jessicurl
3. Tag your curlfriend in comments (each tag is an entry!) Fine print: not sponsored by Instagram. Contest ends Thursday 20th 11:59pm est. open internationally except Spain and Brazil. Must be following both accounts at time of winner announcement to win.
Cheers to the freedom and peace that comes when your hair is an expression of who feel you truly are. 🥂 I polled you all in my IG Stories and 99% of you wanted to see an updated length check after my cut! .
I see the first video and I am so grateful for how much I have learned about my hair and about myself over these past nine years. Back in 2010, I made a secret goal that I would grow my hair to butt length. I didn’t tell anyone in case I failed terribly 😄, but this was one of my life goals. I honestly just wanted to see if I could. I wanted to see if people were right when they said women of color couldn’t grow long hair. Spoiler alert: WE CAN ✊🏽. But how could I have known that when before I learned to care for my hair it stayed at shoulder length for FIVE years. That’s half a decade y’all. Over the course of this journey I have learned that the health of your hair goes hand in hand with your knowledge of YOUR hair (not your favorite hair crush’s hair) and also your relationship with her 💕
Now, my life goal is to help women who want to look and feel their best on the inside, but their hair is a point of frustration and confusion. You know your hair could be healthier, could look better, could be the hair of your DREAMS! But you’re just not sure how to get there. You may have plateaued in your hair journey, have stayed at the same length for months (or years like me) or have been dealing with the same issues every wash day. I see you and I know what that feels like. I want to help YOU. Drop your email at the link in my bio for more info on how we can work together and YOU can feel confident and knowledgeable about your own hair care. 💕
Precut: 11/2/2018 (nine years of hair growth + I can’t even count how many trims along the way)
Postcut: 11/15/2018 (evened out my hair + cut into a shape with bangs! 😊)
We actually did a photo shoot this day... hours in the summer sun ! Peep the tan in second pic lol she’s able to get 3 weeks (and more if I let her lol)she has fine hair that gets very tangly when it’s dry so for her she has to cleanse and condition every week to 2 realistically but she rides her styles out lol